Sunday, February 24, 2013

On-line Dating

A friend of mine asked me recently if I had ever tried on-line dating. Of course I have! Anyone as desperate as me to get a husband will try just about anything. (I'm not exactly proud of that) 

Here's some of my issues/frustrations with on-line dating:

 Almost every guy on a dating site claims to be 6'. Not that there's anything wrong with that, but a little honesty goes a long way, and height isn't something worth lying about. 

On Christian dating sites, guys will state that the most important quality in a woman is her faith and relationship with Christ. This is clearly not true, because my profile states that as the most important thing too, and any guy who really believed that would try to contact me...and very few of this type of guy ever contacts me. 

Contact etiquette-- Who is supposed to send the first message? I am an old-fashioned girl and like to be asked out first, so my tactic is to "view" profiles that I find interesting, in hopes that one of the profilers I have viewed will find me attractive or endearing enough to message me back. This rarely works. 

Some of the guys that sound so perfect for me live in the US or overseas. Why don't any of them live close by? I'm not opposed to re-locating if that is what God has planned for me, but it makes it hard to plan a first date when one's passport is required to get to said date. 

The term "Christian" is thrown around very loosely on on-line dating sites. For some people, the term Christian means "Drinking and partying only once in awhile, not on a daily basis, like seriously just once a week. That's it."  The word Christian on a dating site can also be defined as a person that attends church on Easter and Christmas. Or, one of my favourite quotes: "I believe in God, but I don't let that belief define my life or affect me." 

I have received several matches on dating sites for 25 year old men that are divorced and on the market again. The fact that someone is 25 and ALREADY divorced is a huge red flag. Personally, I believe no one should be married before age 25 as most people don't know what they want until they are that age and really don't have a clue how to treat a person in a marriage relationship. How does one know what they want in life if they never have to experience it on their own first? I know no one is perfect and divorces do happen as often in Christian marriages as they do in other marriages. That being said, what could be so terrible that early on in marriage that someone decides to give up before they even turn 25? A 25 year old divorcee to me is either a sign of immaturity and indecision, or someone who was cheated on or abused. At any rate, most people are too young to be married before age 25, let alone divorced. 

Last but not least (give me time, I could think of more complaints with on-line dating), people are flawed and they often lie to get what they want. I could state that I have a very thin and sculpted body, and was once offered a modelling career, but that would be a lie. 

A guy could pretend to be a Christian, but does that mean he is?  If he will lie about his height, his income, and his interests, there's no telling what else he will lie about. 

& when we make plans will he even show up? Or is this some sick game he is playing? 

I hate on-line dating!! 

I really hate dating of any kind. If I could skip right to the marriage I think I would be fine with that.  Problem solved! 




No comments:

Post a Comment


xoxo

Sassy (Summer 2009)

Sassy (Summer 2009)