~There's always going to be another mountain~. I'm not a Miley Cyrus fan by any means, but those words from one of her recent hits really strike a chord with me. Anyone who has attempted losing weight; whether it be 200 pounds or 20 pounds, knows there are definite obstacles along the way. It almost feels as if you are climbing a mountain and each step leaves you anxious, anticipating what will be on the next horizon. Perhaps your mountain seems too tall to climb at the time. Perhaps your mountain is small, and you can see the end, but yet it is just out of your reach by a couple of feet. Either way, mountains can be frustrating. But when you reach the top, it feels fantastic. You stand at the top of your mountain, with the sun shining in your face, the wind blowing through your hair, and the glory of victory in your heart. It is the greatest sense of accomplishment. And you knew it was all worth it in the end. All of the blood, sweat and tears were just stepping stones on your journey. Each stepping stone getting you closer to your goal, the top of that mountain.
I have managed to get a pretty good grip on my mountain.
Twenty-seven pounds lighter, I can now say that I walk with more ease. I can say that those stairs are getting easier to climb. I can say that I have lost 4 inches off my waist, and at least 12 inches over all. Now that, my friends, is something to be proud of. I will accept each accomplishment, however great or small as success in my journey.
I have been hovering around the thirty pound mark for the past couple of weeks. It seems as if I have hit my first plateau. They all told me this would happen. I figure that every thirty pounds I lose, I will experience the same thing. It is extremely frustrating how close I came to losing thirty two weeks ago. But what happened? I let the mental game take control of me. I stressed myself out to the point that I wasn't sleeping because my first thoughts when I went to bed consisted of "What if I don't hit thirty this week? I will look like a fool. Everyone will think I have given up." Those thoughts played over and over in my head until I was starting to get sick of hearing myself think. So, I shut myself up with food. I didn't turn to junk food as I normally did, but I would sneak an extra piece of bread here and there. Things like that. I can't believe that after nearly a month with such good results I still went partially back to my old habits. Such is life, old habits die hard.
Today, on May 28th, 2010, I have come to the conclusion that I need to stop focusing on the numbers on the scale. I am so much more than a number on a scale. Why should I judge myself based on a number? My whole life I have felt judged because of my weight. Yet, I will judge myself based on the same thing, and it's not right. Losing weight is not a diet. It is not a fad that can come and go as it pleases. It is a lifestyle change. It affects a person not only physically, but also mentally, spiritually, socially, YOU get the picture don't you? Need I say more? As the pounds disappear so do small thoughts of self-loathing. I wish I could turn back the clock and start loving myself the way I should at a younger age, but what's done is done. I can only look at the present and to the future.
No comments:
Post a Comment