Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Married or Buried? You decide


I want to know why it is that a single 24 year old Christian woman is so rare? It wouldn't be so difficult to be single if the majority of same age or younger friends weren't married. I have one, or maybe two friends who feel the same way as I do, and they are in the minority as well.

What frustrates me the most about the whole thing is, if I wasn't trying to live for God I would be married by now, and I would be a Mom...I would have my own place and I could live a semi-fulfilled life. But I believe God wants me to marry a Christian man of similar beliefs; such a thing is almost as rare as a single 24 year old Christian woman, especially in Yarmouth.I have tried dating non-Christian men. & they really liked me, believe it or not. I was almost engaged! We were planning a wedding for June of 2008. But I broke up with him because I felt it wasn't God's will for my life. Infact, now that I think about it maybe it wasn't so much love, but the idea of being in love that thrilled me at the time.

What can I say? I was 20 at the time. I knew nothing about marriage and I wasn't ready for it, like most people at that tender age. Did you know that many marriages between two people of such young ages end in divorce? Did you know that 50 percent of all marriages end in divorce? It's a scary thought. People don't take marriage seriously anymore. It seems to me that (particularly in Christian circles) all a young woman can think of is her wedding day. Beautiful flowers, a gorgeous dress to show off her silhouette, gifts and memories that can last a lifetime. But most of them don't consider the fact that they are vowing to spend the rest of their life tied down to the SAME MAN. Until death do us part. Or so they say. What if you get stuck with a dud? What if you end up marrying someone for the way they look or for their money? There will come a day when money can't buy you happiness; when that handsome face and chiselled body will be wrinkled, and something that resembles a potbelly will be there in it's place.

On the other hand, men aren't always mature when it comes to marriage. I often wonder if any of them really want to get married or do they just propose because it's expected of them? Alot of Christian guys that I know complain about how all they want is "a nice girl", a "decent girl" someone who will accept them for who they are. Then the opportunity presents itself for them to date a nice girl. But they won't have her, because she's not pretty enough, not thin enough, not athletic enough, etc. And half of these guys are in no position to be picky.

So when people ask me the question, "Why aren't you married yet?" Instead of answering them with a verbal response, I will write out the link to my blog. They can fill their boots with excuses or reasons why.

I used to say it was because I was fat, and that I didn't deserve anyone. And that a guy had every right to turn me down because of my weight. I'm too old for that foolishness now. People are people, whether they have a few extra pounds, don't have a perfectly proportionate face, or don't necessarily have a fancy car to call their own. So to all of you out there who wouldn't date a girl because of her weight.. I'm just going to tell you, you are missing out. And have fun being single til you are 40! Until next time,

~H

No comments:

Post a Comment


xoxo

Sassy (Summer 2009)

Sassy (Summer 2009)